NAIS Dives Deep into Equity and Justice in Education
This week Jeanette Moore, Director of Finance and Operations, and Steve Morris, Head of School, are presenting at a summit organized by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS).
Steve and Jeanette are presenting on the indexed tuition program and the school’s commitment to both affordability and accessibility in a rapidly changing city.
The summit is bringing together a group of expert educators, diversity practitioners, and thought leaders at Georgetown University in Washington, DC, to discuss equity and justice issues. The summit will focus on several areas: the neuroscience of implicit bias (the unconscious attitudes that affect our understanding and decision making), equity and leadership in and beyond the 21st century, equity in accountability and institutional change, equity and the student experience, and equity and affordability. Independent school leaders will also share case models from their schools.
“This summit will highlight important and evolving issues in equity and justice. We look forward to highlighting examples from the field and tools that NAIS schools can use to increase equity, access, and cultural proficiency throughout the school community, which ensures education excellence today and moving forward,” says Caroline Blackwell, vice president for equity and justice at NAIS.
Summit participants include:
• Eliza Byard, Executive Director, GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network)
• Peter Cookson, Principal Researcher, Education Program, American Institutes for Research
• Cris Cullinan, Independent Consultant, University of Oregon
• Jack DeGioia, President, Georgetown University
• Rachel Godsil, Professor of Law; Director of Research; Seton Hall School of Law; The Perception Institute
• Sonya Douglass Horsford, Associate Professor of Education, George Mason University
• Rosemary Kilkenny, Vice President for Institutional Diversity and Equity, Georgetown University
• Tia Brown McNair, Associate Vice President, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Student Success, Association of American Colleges & Universities
• Ann Mellow, Associate Director, National Association of Episcopal Schools
• Steve Morris, Head of School and Jeanette Moore, Director of Finance and Operations, The San Francisco School (California)
• John Sharon, Academic Department Chair, Social Studies, The Fenn School (Massachusetts)
• Eric J. Temple, Head of School, Lick-Wilmerding (California)
• Yong Zhao, Presidential Chair and Director of the Institute for Global and Online Education, University of Oregon
Posted November 03, 2015