Updated Carpool Guidelines and Expectations
Please review the guidelines to help morning drop off and afternoon pick up run smoothly and share with any caregivers who may drop off and pick up students.
We are committed to a “No Idle Zone” the entire length of Gaven Street. It is wonderful to not idle in front of the campus for our kids’ breathing but is similarly kind and respectful toward neighbors to not idle on the 100 or 200 blocks of Gaven Street. The same is true of double parking the entire length of Gaven Street. Thank you for assuring all your drivers know to turn off their vehicles if sitting for more than 10 seconds.
Preschool and Kindergarten
Drop off 8:30 - 9:00 AM, Pick up: 2:40 - 2:55 PM
Note that before 8:30 AM, 200+ Elementary and Middle school students arrive. If you only have children in Preschool/Kindergarten and arrive before 8:30 AM, park and walk your child(ren) in.
At 3:00 PM Preschool/Kindergarten children are escorted to Extended Day. Recommend drivers enter the line by 2:50 PM to assure timely pickup. All drivers arriving at or after 3:00 PM will have to park and enter the school to sign Preschool/Kindergarten children out of Extended Day.
Drop off 8:00 - 8:30 AM, Pick up 3:00 - 3:15 PM
There is free Extended Day from 8:00 to 8:30 AM, so arriving earlier is beneficial! Your child(ren) can play and socialize before beginning classes and you don’t have to stress being late. At 3:15 PM Elementary students are escorted to Extended Day. Recommend driver enter line by 3:05 PM to assure timely pickup. All drivers arriving after 3:15 PM will have to park and enter school to sign child out of Extended Day.
Drop off 8:00 - 8:15 AM, Pick up 3:15 - 3:25 PM
Drive as far through the zone as you can and please do not stop at the gate as that holds up everyone behind you. Even if no one is behind you at that moment, the zone fills rapidly.
Carpool does not end at 3:30 PM. We must close carpool at 3:25 PM to have students escorted to and signed into Extended Day by 3:30 PM.
Families with siblings in two different divisions
Before 8:30 AM, we will sign in Preschool/Kindergarten only at the first 2 spaces so drivers should enter carpool zone and continue moving to west before letting any children out. This allows vehicles behind you to exit the carpool zone and more arrivals to enter the zone.
We cannot allow you to pick up the younger child and wait in the carpool zone for the next division - this reduces the number of vehicles we can deliver children to in the carpool lane. You have several options:
- Pick up the younger child during their assigned division pickup time, ride away and return for the next child’s division time.
- Come about 5 minutes into the older child’s assigned division pickup time and get both children in one pickup.
- Park and walk in to get each.
For families with siblings in three different divisions
If you are only picking up one child that afternoon, come during that child’s assigned division pickup time.
If coming for 2 out of 3 children, come during the older child’s assigned division pickup time.
If coming for all three children, preset logistics with the Head Teachers so that we can place your Preschool/Kindergarten child in Extended Day rather than have them sit in carpool for 30+ minutes. Be sure to tell the carpool staff they will have to get the youngest child from the Extended Day room.
Important Guidelines to assure we are respectful to our neighbors and each other
- Do not ever park in neighbor’s driveways or wait in line blocking their driveways at all.
- Always leave space for a neighbor to arrive and pull easily into their driveway.
- Please note it is not for us to decide what a legal driveway is. As long as their driveway is cut out, it is a driveway and should not be encroached upon by our community.
- When we created this system, we took the white zone parking spaces away from our neighbors so it is incumbent on us to demonstrate kindness and respect to our neighbors at all times.
- Do not drop or pick up children in front of Gaven neighbor’s homes nor at the green top. When this occurs and you exit the carpool line, that can impede traffic in either direction, and overall safety.
- Enter the carpool lane and drive all the way west as far as you can before releasing children.
- We have removed the number of cones at the western end in an effort to allow drivers to exit sooner without having to wait while cars in front release. This can only work if each driver exits safely.
- The entire length of the white zone is available to all divisions in accordance with the time restrictions noted above.
- Whenever possible, please make sure your Elementary/Middle School child knows the after school plans ahead of time. It is often difficult to get last minute messages to students about carpool and Extended Day instructions. Remember, if your child is not present in carpool and has signed into Extended Day, you should park and enter campus to sign the child out of Extended Day. A helpful hint we got from the parent of a younger child was to attach a reminder to the backpack if it is a carpool day (e.g., note or key).
Thank you for all your kindness and consideration of each child, driver and neighbor!
Posted November 15, 2016